Share |
Harris Hosts Florida Tech Women in STEM Group

Led by Florida Tech First Lady and University Research Professor Mary Helen McCay and Gisele Bennett, Florida Tech’s senior vice president for research, two dozen female Florida Tech students in STEM disciplines visited Harris Corporation’s Global Innovation Center in Melbourne on Jan. 18.

At the Women in STEM event, the students were able to interact with female Harris executives and learn about their professional journey, explore Harris’s defense communication innovations, and talk to recruiters about potential internships.

McCay was pleased with the interest of the students and enjoyed sharing ideas with them and Harris professionals. With a decorated history in STEM, from serving as a payload specialist astronaut alternate to her leadership of Florida Tech’s National Center for Hydrogen Research, McCay has seen the power of the STEM disciplines and is eager to help students succeed.

“Personally, I think the STEM field has helped me appreciate the world and my environment, knowing more about science and engineering, and what goes into being able to do that, as well as the different aspects of space,” she said. “I think it broadens one’s horizons.”