President’s Perspective — 18 November 2013
Share |

The days go extra fast this time of year and it’s hard to believe that Fall Commencement, Dec. 14, is almost upon us, as are the holidays. I hope as you wrap up projects and make plans for the upcoming breaks that you’ll take time to enjoy university entertainment in your spare time.

Our athletics teams have some exciting events coming up at home. For example, our first home swim meet is Nov. 22; the last home volleyball game of the season is Nov. 23; men’s and women’s basketball play Nov. 25; and men’s basketball hosts the Florida Tech Thanksgiving Tournament Nov. 29-30.

I think you’ll appreciate how far our music program has come at fall events Nov. 22 and 23 and Dec. 3 and 4. On Dec. 3 the string ensemble and concert band will present “Intermezzo: Opera Masterpieces for Orchestra;” on Dec. 4 the Jazz Syndicate Combo performs “Do You Hear What I Hear? Jazz for the Holidays.”

Also, all faiths are welcome Dec. 8 to Fr. Doug Bailey’s annual Candlelight Advent Mass at the SUB Plaza. The Ascension All-Brass Ensemble plays at 5:30 p.m.; mass is at 6:30 p.m., with a reception in the Hartley Room following.

Remember that the Ruth Funk Center for Textile Arts exhibition, Textiles & Culture, runs through Dec. 14 and the Foosaner Art Museum’s shows, Theodore Waddell: Far West and The Horse: Paintings by Frits Van Eeden, continue until Jan. 19.

You’ll find times and other details in the calendar section of this publication or the Athletics homepage.

I’ll see you again for my annual holiday party for faculty and staff. It will be Dec. 17, 3-5 p.m.; at the Panther Dining Hall. Please come with your holiday spirit to enjoy some festive fun and food, and prize drawings.

Until then, I wish you and your families a very happy holiday season.

Happy Holidays from Marketing and Comunications * * * Look for your next \”Florida Tech NOW\” in January.