Headlines Headlines (News) — 22 February 2013
Share |
FIT Men’s Lacrosse Dedicates Season to Wyatt Family

The tragic event at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., shook families all across the country on Dec. 14, 2012, but none more than those families who lost their loved ones. Sophomore Andrew Conley lost a cousin that Friday morning.

In memory of Conley’s cousin Allison Wyatt and her family, the men’s lacrosse team will dedicate their 2013 season to the Wyatt family. Allison was one of 20 first-grade students to lose her life. She was just six years old.

“Andrew came to me and told me about his cousin,” head coach Ryan McAleavey said. “He wanted to do something to help honor [Allison], and I was all for it. One of the things I preach to my team is that family is most important. Our team is a family.”

The Panthers will wear two different decals on their helmets this season. The first decal will be the “Town of Newtown” seal with a black ribbon, which will be placed on the side of the helmet. The second decal will have the initials “A.W.” to honor Allison Wyatt, Conley’s cousin, and will be placed on the back of the helmet. The players will also wear a black ribbon logo on their shooting shirts.