Features Features (News) — 10 May 2012
Share |
Astronaut High Senior Is New Farmer Scholar

Brayden Thompson, a senior at Astronaut High School in Titusville, is the 2012 recipient of the Farmer Scholarship. He is also dual-enrolled at Brevard Community College. Thompson maintains a 4.5 grade point average. He is current president of the National Honor Society at his school and past treasurer. He is also a varsity letterman in swimming and diving and in track and field, and participated in football as a freshman.

Thompson put Florida Tech at the top of his wish list when he heard professor Manolis Tomadakis, head of the department of chemical engineering give an introductory chemistry lecture. He said, “Dr. Tomadakis’s lecture gave a first-person glimpse into what chemical engineers do and what their careers entail. After my visit to Florida Tech, I knew that Florida Tech would provide me with the research and work experience needed for me to determine my specific career path in chemical engineering.”

The Farmer Scholarship program provides a full four-year scholarship awarded annually to a Florida resident and high school graduate. Included in the scholarship are all tuition and university fees, a room in Harris Village’s Farmer Hall and the regular university meal plan. There will now be four Farmer Scholars in residence.