Florida Tech President and CEO Anthony Catanese hosted university leaders and invited guests at a ceremony at the Ray Work Building for the dedication of a historical marker celebrating the relationship between now-defunct University of Melbourne and Florida Tech.
It was in the Work building in 1955 that University of Melbourne housed its first classroom and office. Six years later, the university delivered its title for 40 acres of land to Jerome Keuper, who just a few years earlier had founded Brevard Engineering College, which later became Florida Tech.
This story is explained on the plaque dedicated at the ceremony.
Hubert C. Normile, Jr., a local attorney whose father was one of the UM regents, spearheaded the dedication event and, with the family of regents clerk Virginia Wood, a Melbourne Village founder, helped present the plaque earlier this spring.